Wednesday 14 August 2013

Our Cornwall Holiday :: Part 2

Hello Lovelies ,
 this post is about a couple of morning runs I did while we are away. I love being able to explore the area we are visiting in this way. This year my running has been a bit sporadic so I don't have the stamina I did when I was training for the Great North Run last year, but I still enjoy shorter runs.
  THIS run in north Devon last year was very special and will be ingrained in my memory for a long time,so this year I was keen to do some more coastal running.
Once again the site we stayed at was very close to the South West Coastal Path. 

TUESDAY
On this  morning I got up headed down hill to join the path. I turned right.........



In hindsight that was a mistake....I ended up running away from the beach and along the river estuary..


Oh well, I thought it can't be that far, I'll soon find a bridge. The path led into a field and this cow was standing next to it. I decided to walk past it so as not to spook her, but she still jumped out in front of me as I went by and gave me a fright....cows are really big close up aren't they.........

I was happy to get out of that field, but not happy to see the grey sky and the estuary stretching as far as the eye could see, then I noticed a bridge. Can you see it? it wasn't very inspiring, but as I wasn't prepared to brave the cow field again I had little choice but to head towards it............


Heck, it was slippery walking across this silt, I fell over once and got rather muddy.........

I was glad to reach the bridge, but a bit wary incase this too was slippery. The water was flowing quicky beneath it and I didn't like the lack of a hand rail......this was not turning out to be a good run :0(


Thankfully I got across ok and after a while running along the streets of the opposite riverbank I ended up on a headland with a gorgeous view........


I carried on a bit further and was amazed to see this house with a swimming pool carved out of the rocks at the waters edge.......you may need to enlarge the photo by clicking on it to see it clearly.........

It looks stunning spot don't you think . Through the wonders of google I've discovered you can rent it HERE.

I carried on a bit further, arriving at the famous Fistral Beach, where the surfers were already out in force.


Trouble was I was a long way from our caravan by now and didn't have the energy to run the miles around the estuary to get back , thankfully I had my phone with me,  so I resorted to phoning Mr BM and asking him to come and rescue me...something I've never had to do before, it did feel like a bit of a cheat.

WEDNESDAY

After the previous days misadventures I was keen to try and have a better run to remember from this holiday.
I was delighted to peep out of the window and see a clear blue sky first thing in the morning........



I headed out, past the neat rows of caravans..........


across the field and towards the beach..........


Once again I joined the coast path, but this time I turned left.........


I followed the markers across the dunes and was so happy to see the sea looking gorgeous in the morning light..........


The time was about 8am , but it was very still and the air already felt beautifully warm.......


I didn't run much along the path, they are pretty narrow and you need to watch your step, but the views are too lovely to rush past anyway..............


The dog roses have finished flowering and the rose hips are forming...........


The sun was not yet high enough to shine into this secluded little cove.............


At times the path is high above the beach, but then it descends steeply and you are almost at sea level........


Back up on the cliffs I spot a Gatekeeper butterfly



Looking back the way I've come I loved the sunlight shining on the waves...........



Then I noticed a pretty butterfly resting on a scabious, This is a new species to me ....Wall


I ran back through the dunes, stopping one last time to gaze at the ocean........

Simply stunning 

This was turning out to be a much better run, and it wasn't over yet..........


We stayed close the the little village of Crantock, which has a lovely church. From our caravan we could hear the bells chime every hour........


The whole village is just impossibly pretty. This particular morning there was even bunting decorating the sweet little village hall, where the Women's Institute were holding a cake stall...........


There are many thatched cottages in the village.........


Quite a few, like this one, are holiday lets..........


I loved this modest little home too..........


With it's pretty Agapanthus growing on top of the garden wall........


The post office sells everything, including paintings by local Artists, can you see them in the window......



It really is a totally delightful village...........


There was even a book sale on the green that morning and I loved the milk churns on a bench by the red telephone box..........


Eventually I managed to tear myself away and head back to our caravan , to enjoy breakfast siting on the caravan steps in the sunshine....perfect.


Hope you are enjoying sharing my holiday memories, I think I may need to write a couple more posts to cover the whole week :0)
Jacquie x

15 comments:

  1. Loved the butterflies (both new to me), beaches and cottages...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have such fond memories of family holidays spent camping near Crantock. It really is a beautiful beach - captured in your stunning photos (I recognised it straight away!). Nice to see it hasn't really changed from what I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous place. I bet you didn't want to return home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful beach - and good for you for having a long run. I'm terrified of running alone in secluded places. I think I need to get a grip ha!
    Gorgeous scenery

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your holiday posts are a real treat, fabulous photos and, frankly, I wish I was there too - Cornwall is one of my favourite holiday destinations. Thanks for sharing. Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't blame you for asking hubby to come and rescue you! You ran a long way and I wouldn't have wanted to face that slippery looking bridge or the cow again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Large wall brown I think. Lovely pictures

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely post, enjoyed it so much ;0) fristal beach i have been to many times while staying with friends in newquey and hollywell bay (i think it was called) amazzzzing sand dunes there. loved muddy creek and your wonderful photography, felt id been on a lovely day trip while drinking coffee at my laptop ;0)x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for taking those runs, and...for taking your camera along with you. What gorgeous scenery along the shore! Crantock looks very charming. It's quite reassuring to know that such places still exist. I am making a note of the name, just in case I ever find my way to Cornwall.

    Those butterflies were also very impressive. Great photographs, all! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always enjoy your photos and love the fact you take a camera with you when you run, so cool! Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are wonderful,as you know I love seeing the sea! It looks like a beautiful spot. I'm glad your second run was a bit more successful. River estuaries can be a bit slippery when the tide is out!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking us along as I felt like I was also on holiday there. The cow looked quite menacing and I would have run if he was wearing a hoodie!! You sounded as though your run to the left was a lot better and I loved the thatched cottages. Having used to live in one, I can imagine the inside and how cosy they would be. Will have a look at that house on the cliff face, what a place. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awsome post Jacquie, feel like I am on holidays with you lol
    This is what I love about blogs, a holiday diary that you can look back on
    with bits of everyday life scattered through the year ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely Jacquie, I would love to walk the coast path there. A very special place! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how I do love thatched cottages and little villages, so beautiful to look at. Sorry the run didn't go quite as planned, you are right about that cow, it is very big!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.